While winter weather seems like it’s already been around for much too long, its impact on our heating bill is just starting. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially lower those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To start controlling your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to bring sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Attempting to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a buzz at 832-224-3887. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Huffman weather.