According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear something other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have insects or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to contact Air Houston Mechanical LLC in Huffman about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the pros at Air Houston Mechanical LLC. Annual checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Checking your system often and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts open.
Additional ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and switch them out when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Huffman home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Air Houston Mechanical LLC at 832-777-1521 or make an appointment online.