On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how often your air filter has been changed, to name a few—you may adjust your air duct cleaning more or less often. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some significant signs when it’s time.
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Air Houston Mechanical LLC in Huffman about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleanings
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the amount of time between expert cleanings.
Above all, set up routine HVAC maintenance with the experts at Air Houston Mechanical LLC. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating effectively and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Air Houston Mechanical LLC about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System, and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters habitually and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will show dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not need changing.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that let dust come in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With specialized air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Huffman home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Air Houston Mechanical LLC a call at (832) 957-9332.