Summer weather in Huffman can be brutal. But you don’t have to pick between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve assembled some tips to help you out.
The best thing you can do to stay cool and sustain energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® recommends keeping your system working reliably and efficiently, and Air Houston Mechanical LLC is here to help. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll complete the following tasks noted by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to be sure there’s a safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer life for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as need be. Dirty coils require your system to run more often to do its job.
- Check system controls to ensure correct and safe operation.
- Inspect refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to ensure correct system airflow.
Another crucial piece to remaining cool is routinely inspecting your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can boost energy costs and damage your equipment, which could lead to premature failure. Our Air Houston Mechanical LLC pros will check these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to check the manufacturer’s recommendations to arrange your schedule to swap them out.
Here are some other tips to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient:
- Inspect thermostat settings to make sure your air conditioner keeps you cool when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- If you find yourself cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the night air cool your house for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to trap the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a tad higher than you normally would without noticing any changes in your comfort level.
- Another kind of fan people often forget about when they’re attempting to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to remove the heat and humidity from your bathroom.
- Avoid leaving lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Your stovetop and oven are adding heat to your home, but even everyday activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can boost the heat in your home.
If you’d like additional ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Air Houston Mechanical LLC a call at (832) 957-9332 or request an appointment with us online.