As the heat rises, so does your energy costs. To keep your cooling expenses low you might be thinking, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Huffman?
It’s a popular belief that turning your air conditioner on and off [[throughout the day is inefficient. This is actually a misconception.
Keeping your air conditioning running all day means you’re not using it very efficiently. We suggest moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re out, and lowering it when you get back. You can achieve this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat is able to do the work for you.
It’s significantly more taxing for your system to achieve the same setting throughout the day. It can also lead to a lot of stress on your equipment, since it’s frequently turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your utility bills, it might also lead to a shorter life span for your air conditioner.
Regardless, the larger the difference between your indoor temperature and the outside temperature, the greater your energy expenses will be. So, what can you do to remain cool and keep your electric bills lower in the warm weather? Here are our ideas based upon recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Methods to Enhance Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Change Your Thermostat Usage. The DOE affirms that you can spend up to 10% less per year on heating and cooling by increasing your thermostat 7-10 degrees during the time you’re out. In the hotter months, it’s suggested to keep your thermostat at 78 degrees while you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re out. It’s also important to avoid setting your thermostat to a lower setting than usual when you turn on your air conditioner. This doesn’t actually cool off your residence any quicker, it just results in bigger energy costs. While these temperatures may seem toasty, there are many approaches to keep cooler without having to constantly run the air conditioning.
- Use Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says raising the thermostat by only 2 degrees and turning on your ceiling fan can lessen AC by up to 14% over the course of the summer season. It’s important to be mindful that that fans cool people, not spaces. So, when you head out of the room, turn the fan off to be energy efficient. Additionally, keeping blinds low and curtains drawn throughout the day helps keep cool air in. There are also some window solutions intended to deliver extra insulation and increase energy efficiency.
- Properly Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky gaps all across a house allow for cool air to easily escape and warmer air to get in. This can cause your air conditioner needing to work harder to keep your house cooler and your energy bills to skyrocket. Check that any openings, doors and windows are suitably sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are quick mends for leaks or drafts around windows and doors.
- Plan for Regular Tune-Ups. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your AC is always running at its most energy efficient. This permits our professionals to find little issues before they turn into significant dilemmas. A clean air conditioner is typically more efficient and can even live for a greater period of time.
- Install a Smart Thermostat. One of the easiest approaches to assure comfort and efficiency is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat intuitively adjusts the temperature based on your regular schedule. It works together with your smartphone to notice when you’re home or elsewhere to enhance your efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could actually save you about $180 every year on energy bills.
- Consider Replacing Your AC. You can expect an adequately cared for AC to run for 15-20 years. But if you’re frequently needing us for air conditioning repair or your AC expenses are rising with no change in thermostat settings, it could be time for a replacement. We carry numerous energy-efficient air conditioners, like ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without bargaining comfort.
Improve Your House’s Energy Efficiency with Air Houston Mechanical LLC
No one enjoys seeing their energy bill climb during the summer. If you’re in search of more ways to keep your energy consumption and expenses down this summer, our professionals can help. Reach us at 832-777-1521 or contact us online right away for more info.