Spring is in the air here in Huffman and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Air Houston Mechanical LLC team has some recommendations that will work to keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home appear as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to correspond with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your amazing trip on social media, but try to wait until after you make it home to post information about your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to cut back on energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Air Houston Mechanical LLC in Huffman a call at 832-777-1521.