Summer weather in Huffman can be rough. But you don’t have to pick between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility costs. We’ve assembled some tips to make it easy.
The greatest thing you can do to stay comfortable and ensure energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® recommends keeping your system running at its best and efficiently, and Air Houston Mechanical LLC is able to help. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks noted by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to ensure safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer lifecycle for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as required. Dirty coils require your system to work longer to do its job.
- Check system controls to be sure of accurate and safe operation.
- Look at refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to ensure accurate system airflow.
Another critical piece to staying cool is routinely checking your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can boost energy expenses and damage your equipment, which may lead to early failure. Our Air Houston Mechanical LLC pros will inspect these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to take a look at the manufacturer’s recommendations to arrange your own schedule to swap them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home cool and energy-efficient:
- Inspect thermostat settings to be sure your air conditioner keeps you comfy when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- If it is cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the night air cool your place for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to retain the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Use fans to your advantage. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a tad higher than you regularly would without feeling any changes in your comfort level.
- Another kind of fan people routinely forget about when they’re trying to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Be sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to get rid of the heat and humidity from your bathroom.
- Avoid leaving lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven add heat into your home, but even routine activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can increase the heat in your home.
If you’d like additional ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Air Houston Mechanical LLC at call at 832-777-1521 or request an appointment with us online.